Travel Writing Submissions Are Open
Increase your chances of getting published: We receive well over 1,000 submissions per year yet publish just one story per week. To increase your chances of hearing a “yes,” we strongly recommend that new and budding travel writers follow this advice in our free guide, The Rejection Report.
How to Submit Your Travel Writing to Intrepid Times:
At Intrepid Times, we publish narrative travel writing with heart. Since 2014, our mission has been to share authentic stories that capture the essence of an experience, a place, or a journey. We pay all our writers on the day of publication and accept submissions free of charge, from around the world.
We are currently accepting submissions for “Travelogs” and “Features.”
Category #1: Travelog
- Wordcount: 1000-2000
- High-quality, original photography: Preferred
- Theme: Narrative travel stories.
- Accepting pitches? Please submit on spec (i.e. send fully written pieces only) unless you have already written for us.
- Open to: All writers, including writers who have not previously been published elsewhere.
- We pay: $50 USD for a story, including publishable original photographs, and payment is sent on the day of publication.
- License: You keep the rights and license us to give your story a home, with a two-month period of exclusivity from the date of publication on Intrepid Times. Full terms sent upon acceptance.
- Submit your story as a Word Doc attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Travelog: [The Name of Your Story]”
Category #2: Feature
- Wordcount: 2000-4000
- High-quality, original photography: At least four publishable images required.
- Theme: Narrative travel stories that provide deep and evergreen insight into a place, a journey, or a shared experience.
- Accepting pitches? Only from writers who can provide at least three clippings from other reputable publications. If you cannot provide this, you are welcome to submit “on spec,” i.e. send a fully written piece.
- Open to: All writers, including writers who have not previously been published elsewhere; however, writers who have not previously had travel writing published are encouraged to begin by submitting a Travelog.
- We pay: $250 USD for a feature story, including publishable, original photographs, and payment is sent on the day of publication.
- License: You keep the rights and license us to give your story a home, with a three-month period of exclusivity from the date of publication on Intrepid Times. Full terms sent upon acceptance.
- Submit your story as a Word Doc attachment to: email@example.com with the subject line “Feature: [The Name of Your Story]”
For both categories, please submit original, factual, non-fiction stories that have not been published elsewhere online.
We review every submission closely and publish one new story per week.
*Writers who we do choose to publish are paid an agreed-upon fee on publication day, typically by PayPal. Writers maintain the copyright to their works, though we do ask as a courtesy for exclusivity for at least two months after we publish a piece.
T&C: All material published on Intrepid Times will be set-up under a new account for each writer using the email address we correspondent with you with, and be subject to our Terms and Conditions. For any questions about terms, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org